Sunday, January 2, 2011

Landscaping 2.0

We have patches of clover in the front yard that take off every time it rains, but die back when it gets hot and leaves bare spots all over the yard.  I decided this fall to use those bare spots as a small scale testing ground for trying out some grass seed.  We have such a mix in the front and back yard, and I'd love to get them somewhat uniform.  It'll make the upkeep that much easier.  I'm also looking for something more dense, as we ended up with tons of giant dandelions all over the place.

I picked up Scott's E-Z Seed in tall thin fescue as it was the smallest amount of seed I could find.  The label also claimed that it would retain moisture, and I wouldn't need to water multiple times a day.


The grass seed pellets were encased in a light brown soil-like substance, and you just spread them around where you needed grass to grow.  Water the spots until they turn dark brown and you're done!  The soil-like substance will lighten back up as the spots need more water.  I did end up having to water almost every day, but we didn't get that much rain during that time frame either.  In about 2 weeks or so, my new grass had sprouted!



Its hard to see - but its the really thin blades.  This isn't as "rugged" as I thought it would be, so it may be back to the drawing board to figure out what is actually in the yard.  I think this would be great to overseed with, because right now the spots of grass that I like are a lovely shade of brownish-yellow.  This would help it look some-what green throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment