Sunday, January 2, 2011

Halloween!

Not long after we moved in, N and I attended a neighborhood event at the pool.  We met some of the other residents, and were told that our particular neighborhood "does it up big" in terms of decorating for Halloween and Christmas.  We were pretty excited about this, as we love our orange lights and were glad to continue to use them.



They are hard to see here, but we included some luminaries to light the sidewalk.  We put them just inside the planter bed so the trick-or-treaters wouldn't knock them over by accident.


N and I picked up some pumpkins and carved them the day before.  N free-handed his to be upside down, and I used a template I pulled off of the internet.  We thought about making a headless body to sit next to the pumpkin, but didn't have time to get it all together.



We had a decent amount of trick-or-treaters, but not nearly as many as others in the neighborhood.  Some houses get 100 - 200 kids.  We got around 40 or so.  We are in the back of the neighborhood off of a cul-de-sac though.

 Its been a family tradition for years for Mom to cook hotdogs on Halloween night.  It was something that was easy to make and easy to eat, so we could get on our way spooking our neighbors.  Some years she turned them into "spider" hotdogs.  (Don't laugh, my sister and I also got our pb and j sandwiches made into houses, robots, and rocket ships!)  I can't remember how she made them, so I came up with two variations.

This one is cut after its been cooked.


 And this one is cut before its cooked.  N and I decided it looked more like a crab, but you get the idea.  =0)


 The best way to start fall?  With a pumpkin roll of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment